Monday, July 20, 2009

A Look into Evony

It's been a while since i've posted anything, so I figured i'd start with what i've spent a portion of my time doing these last couple weeks.

My general opinion is that if its free off the internet, its a piece of crap. Yes, I've tried tons of free mmorpgs, flash games, etc to kill time AND it just so happens I get bored of them after a day or two every time. However, recently i've found a MMO that has actually managed to hold my interest these last four days. Surprisingly enough, its free to play although just like every other free online game you can pay money to suddenly become more powerful then everyone else.

This game is called Evony, you might have seen they're annoying advertisements on other websites. Looking at their advertisements and one click on their links and I was pretty sure it would utterly suck. However, it's not bad, not too bad at all.

To sum it up, you could call it a VERY slow paced age of empires game. Buildings and units take minutes, to hours, to supposedly even days to complete. It's not a game you are meant to play constantly, its more of a daily lunch break type of deal. In the game, you are given typical resources to work with and you must build up your cities, alliances, and armies to crush everyone else. Simple yet enjoyable enough.

Personally, I have not gotten to the stage in the game where you go conquering everyone else. However the anticipation of that moment when my beginner's protection wears off is quite exciting. I've been spending my time in the game trying to gain allies nearby me since its better to have more friends then enemies. The social aspect of the game is part of what makes it enjoyable, as with most MMOs. Another nifty thing especially in the first couple days, are the quests you can do. There is a quest for almost everything, and getting useful stuff and resources for completing them is pretty fun.

The bottom line is that playing Evony has been a good way to kill 30 seconds at any given time. It's not a RPG like most other free MMOs but rather a long term strategy game, and while I thought it would suck it's actually not bad at all. Feel free to give it a shot, and if you want to come die horribly by my hand I am Darkskeleton on Server 32, Cordinates X:5 Y:404 in Burgandy. Alternatively, you could apply to our alliance DEMONS (We also have DEMONS2 comming up soon I think since the first one is getting full)