Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Back to Final Fantasy XI? What's this about Final Fantasy XIV?

If you've been keeping up with E3 this year, you should have heard about Square Enix's new announcement for FFXIV. FFXIV is set to be a new MMORPG that is going to take many of the good things from FFXI and mix it up with new concepts. That is not to say however, that FFXIV is a direct successor to FFXI. It is made by the same company, however they've stated its going to be very different in many ways.

When I first heard this announcement I was so psyched that I must have watched the trailer atleast 10 times, which at the time is just about the only thing to speculate things off of other then the logo for the game and the few interviews that happened at E3. However, waiting really isn't my speciality so I decided "Hey, maybe I should go back to FFXI".

Yes, I used to be an avid FFXI player, but I quit the game for a multitude of reasons. Like many ex-FFXI players I ended up in World of Warcraft eventually but that wasn't one of my actual reasons for leaving the game. I can safely say that these two MMOs have by far been my favorites to this day. In the last year or so World of Warcraft had just gotten boring for me. Endgame activities in the game such as raiding and PvP had turned into grindfests for epic quality loot (which ever since Burning Crusade happened, were more like common loot to be honest) or situations where there was a strong need to smash my face into the keyboard in frusteration.

So about a week ago I grabbed a 14 day free trial for Final Fantasy XI to see if I would enjoy comming back to the game since I lost all my information about my old account, and to be honest Elvaan (A very tall, rather muscular, but thin weight wise race of Elves in the game) do kind of have awkward animation sets.

So what did I choose this time as my race? Mithra, Medium Size Face 6-B to be specific.
Encase your interested I'm currently up to a lv20 Warrior/Monk named (Yeah you guessed it) Darkskeleton on my old server, Garuda.

If I switch to FFXIV when it comes out, I might roll a Male Mithra if they decide to implement them. Male Mithra seem pretty likely since there is and has been such high demand for them. Since the FFXI races are only similar in appearance, they could easily say this time around Male Mithra arn't rare enough to not be playable.

The bottom line is that FFXIV looks awesome, and I'm tempted to keep playing FFXI till it comes out. FFXI is a lot of fun and there is a ton of content I never got to see on my old character, so I could easily entertain myself as far as MMOs go for the next year with FFXI.